Pulwama terror attack: 5 men detained by forces

Pulwama attack

An NIA team with forensic experts has been sent to Srinagar to assist Jammu and Kashmir Police in forensic evaluation of the scene of the attack. (Photo: PTI)

Five people have been detained in connection with the Pulwama terror attack. Security forces conducted raids in several villages in the Pulwama district late Thursday night.

Forces have detained 5 men from two villages.

The news of the detentions come as experts of anti-terror commando force — the National Security Guard (NSG) and investigators of the National Investigation Agency (NIA) left for Jammu and Kashmir on Friday to join the probe into the terror attack in Pulwama in which at least 40 CRPF personnel were killed, officials said.

On Thursday, a home ministry official had said an NIA team with forensic experts was being sent to Srinagar to assist Jammu and Kashmir Police in forensic evaluation of the scene of the attack.

Explosive specialists of the Black Cat commando force NSG would also join in the investigation into the attack, another official had said.

Earlier in the day, the Jammu and Kashmir Police asked all its units to halt their convoy movements today in the wake of the Pulwama terror attack on a CRPF convoy.

In a message that has been marked as “most urgent”, the police said the directions have been issued because there are apprehensions of law and order problems in the Kashmir Valley today.

“In this context, there shall be no convoy movements. Repeat, no convoy movements today (Friday, February 15, 2019),” the communication said.

The government has strongly condemned the attacks with Prime Minister Narendra Modi saying those responsible will pay “a very heavy price” and security forces will be given a free hand to deal with terrorists.

In a hard-hitting speech, Modi said the “blood of the people is boiling” and forces behind the act of terrorism will be definitely be punished.

After a meeting of the Cabinet Committee on Security, Finance Minister Arun Jaitley said India had withdrawn Pakistan’s most favoured nation status and was working on a plan to isolate the country internationally in the wake of the attacks.

“The most favoured nation status to Pakistan stands revoked,” Jaitley said.

Home Minister Rajnath Singh will be visiting Srinagar on Friday and would convene an all-party meeting most likely on Saturday to brief political parties on the incident so that the nation speaks in one voice on the issue.

[“source=indiatoday”]